Family of teen who stabbed two men to death on gypsy site in row ‘over a can of Red Bull’ shout chilling threats to victims’ relatives as thug is jailed

THE FAMILY of a teen who stabbed two travellers to death on a caravan site in a row over a can of Red Bull screamed violent threats to the victims’s relatives as he was caged for life.

Nelson Smith was just 17 when he plunged an eight-inch carving knife into Barry Street, 32, and Nathan Oakley, 18.

Nelson Smith has been caged for life after stabbing two men to death in a row sparked by a can of Red Bull
Central News

He claimed he grabbed the blade and stabbed the two men repeatedly from behind to stop them viciously beating his dad Nelson Smith Sr after a mass brawl erupted.

The thug then fled and dumped his bloodied shirt and the knife in woodlands behind the traveller site in Ipswich, Suffolk while both men were rushed to hospital.

They were both pronounced dead within an hour of the attack on December 8.

Smith was today caged for life with a minimum of 17 years today at the Old Bailey for murdering Street. The thug, who was jailed for 14 years in 2006 for armed robbery, was also given a concurrent 10-year sentence for the manslaughter of Oakley.

A crowd of travellers erupted in rage in the public gallery as Mr Justice Spencer announced the sentence and one man vowed revenge, shouting: “There will be more to come… trust me.”

Nathan Oakely was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead within an hour
Central News

When the judge told them to leave the public gallery, the man shouted: “You have been a bully, 16 years robber tried to bully a 17-year-old kid, that’s what happened.

“They will all get it.”

The court heard how the row that sparked the violence had been a “trivial” argument over a caravan plot at the site.

Street had been accused of throwing a can of Red Bull through the window of a teenager due to take up the plot, which was next to his family’s.

Sentencing, the judge said: “The two stabbings took place within seconds of each other in an episode of violence which lasted no more than a few minutes.
“But the consequence is that there are two grieving families who have lost their loved ones forever.
“They will never come to terms with their loss.”

Victim Barry Street pictured with boxer Tyson Fury
Central News

Three days after the killings, Nathan’s brother Ernest led a “sickening” revenge attack on the site as he sought vengeance on the Smith family.

A police helicopter and several vans were scrambled as Ernest and five other men bludgeoned a horse to death with planks of wood and burned caravans to the ground.

He was jailed for three years for violent disorder and criminal damage after the attack, while four other men were jailed for a total of 12 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *